Thursday, October 30, 2014

My first cookbook

When I was a college student, my favorite restaurant was McDonald (yes, Super Size it!), my common dinner was instant noodle. When I throw in an egg and some vegetable into the noodle, that was called gourmet dinner. On Saturday night, I joined the college worship night because they provided catered dinner. Food and music - that was the treat of the week.

On my 21st birthday, my friend Saurin gave me a cook book as present. It is a beautiful book filled with photographs. My mouth was watering flipping through the pages. As a recent immigrant from China to Canada, my English was limited. I had never seen an oven in China, nor heard of cream of tartar. What is the tsp vs. TBSP anyway? It was fascinating to see how to measure, mix, bake, and decorate cakes and cookies. It was overwhelming. Although I did not get much chance to practice then, I consider that my first introductory to baking. I still have the book on my bookshelf. I should try more of those recipes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment