Monday, January 23, 2017

Christmas Gift Box Cake

My Christmas Gift Box cake last year was a great practice, but not as nice as I wanted to be. I was too ambitious. This year, I tried again by making one box with a simpler bow.

First I made two batches of  Marshmallow Fondant. Three days before making the cake, I made the fondant pieces for the cake top, and the side decoration.
The cake was an 8" cube. In order to save time, I used the 16" square pan to bake a 16"x16"x2" cake and then divided it to four 8"x8"x2" cakes. The filling was chocolate buttercream frosting.

Ingredients for cake
Egg - 20 Large
Cake flour - 340g
Oil - 160g
Milk - 160g
Sugar - 240g for egg white
Sugar - 120g for egg yolk

I needed 4 batches of chocolate buttercream frosting, and each batch used
Crisco solid vegetable shortening - 1/2 cup
Butter, softened - 1/2 cup (1 stick)
Cocoa powder - 3/4 cup
Vanilla extract - 1 tsp
Sifted confectioners' sugar - 4 cups (approximately 1 lb.)
Milk - 3-4 TBSP

Cakes with crumb coating should be refrigerated for 2 hours+ or overnight. After that, wrap the cake with white fondant, and then decorate with the circles, bow, and berries.
Then just let the rich chocolate flavor up the holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment