Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Vegan Chocolate Cake and Chocolate Buttercream

My niece is a vegan now, and I thought she had to gave up sweets. But after some research, it was amazing how many vegan baking information is out there. I tried this vegan chocolate cake for my niece's birthday. It turned out very rich and moist.

Ingredient

This is for one 8-9" layer. Double or triple the amount for multiple layers.
1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
⅓ cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup warm/hot water (you may substitute this for coffee)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
⅓ cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon white or apple cider vinegar

Steps

1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Grease a 8x8 square, or 8"/9" round cake pan.
3. In a mixing bowl, mix the dry ingredients.
4. Add the wet ingredients. Mix the ingredients together. 
5. Bake for 30 minutes. Cool on a cooling rack. 
6. Decorate with Vegan chocolate buttercream frosting, or other vegan frosting, or just use cocoa powder and fresh fruits.


Vegan Chocolate Buttercream

The vegan recipe I saw did not make sense to me. So I used the Regular Chocolate Buttercream recipe, except
- Replace shortening and butter with 1 cup of vegan butter
- Replace milk with Soy milk
- Add more soy milk, about 6-8 TBSP total. The consistency was okay for me since I used it for the crumb coating under fondant. If you want to use it to piping decorations, you may need more soy milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment