Monday, November 17, 2014

Fried seasame cracker (巧果)

This is a traditional snack during Chinese new year holidays. Chinese grocery store sell them year-round as snacks. I made some Chinese donuts last weekend and had some oil left which I did not want to waste. So I figured I would try this. 

Ingredients:

All purpose flour - 2 cup
Firm Tofu - 1 package
Sugar - 1/3 cup
Black seasame - 1/3 cup
(Optional) Egg - 1 (I did not add egg because of family food allergy)

Steps:

1. Mix all ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Knead until it form a smooth dough.
2. On pastry board, flour the surface, and roll out the dough to skin thin.
3. Cut sheet into rectangles about 2" x 1" (up to your preference)
4. Make a cut in the middle of each rectangle.
5. Pull one end of the rectangle through the middle slot to form a twist.
6. Pour oil in a frying pot,  heat up oil temperature to 250°F (120°C). It is hard to control the temperature to be consistent, so some of my crackers are overcooked because oil gets too hot.
7. Fry crackers in hot oil until golden.

Now I know how much work it is to make it. Next time, I will just buy from grocery store. 

No comments:

Post a Comment